The grape lime ricky is a twist on the famous Rickey cocktail. This refreshing drink will have you reliving your childhood fondness for grape soda. The punch of lime not only cuts through the purple sugar rush, it brings a tart flavor to the whole drink.
In New York and Boston, soda fountains created a children friendly version of the grown up cocktail of gin, lime juice and club soda by swapping out the alcohol with cherry syrup. Cherry and lime go wonderfully together and the drink took off.
Fast forward a century, and this drink is still a refreshing way to enjoy the summer. I don’t know who or when the substitution of grape for cherry happened. But, having enjoyed both versions, I can categorically state that grape lime ricky is my favorite.
Whether you use Torani syrup to give that punch of grape or make your own thick syrup using a grape-flavored powdered drink mix. (The directions are below.) It is well worth the few minutes of cooking to have the ingredients on hand whenever the urge to enjoy this drink strikes.
Tips for Crushing Ice
Your refrigerator may have the option for crushed ice, but just in case you need to make your own in the blender here are a few hints to produce your own crushed ice.
- Remove the ice cubes you want to crush from the freezer for about 10 minutes to start to soften on the edges.
- Only fill the blender about 1/3 -1/2 full with ice cubes so the ice can move around and engage with the blender’s blades.
- Start to crush the ice cubes by pulsing the blender about 5 times in short bursts. Then turn the blender on at medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Turn the blender off, remove the lid, and shake the ice from the blades with a rubber spatula (or the blender tool). Remove the tool, replace the lid, and continue blending on medium speed until the ice is the desired consistency.
- Use the crushed ice immediately or transfer the crushed ice to a container and hold in the freezer for 30 minutes.
A grape-flavored syrup to use in drinks or to flavor shaved ice.
- 1 (.16 ounce) package of grape drink mix
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water and sugar to a boil for five minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the grape-flavored powder until completely dissolved, about 2 minutes of stirring.)
- Let syrup cool and transfer into a squeeze bottle. Store in the refrigerator for up to three months.
Keywords: grape syrup
This refreshing grape lime rickey soda is a favorite. Whether you use Torani syrup or make your own, it is sure to be a favorite.
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (1/2 lime)
- 2 tablespoons grape syrup (either Torani or DIY)
- 1 (12-ounce) can of lemon-lime soda
- In a serving glass, add ice, lime juice, and grape syrup.
- Pour lemon-lime soda over ice and stir with a straw.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
- Serving Size: 16 ounces