Sometimes simple is best. This is a treat that can be finished in 15 minutes. Serve as an easy sweet or wrap up in small bags to give as party favors. Even better, white chocolate is gluten free so as long as you check the ingredients of the treats you add as toppings, this treat will work for all your friends and family.
You can make this with white chocolate chips, vanilla-flavored candy coating, or the plastic-like candy melting wafers. If using white chocolate in bar form, break the chocolate into 1/2” pieces. Melt the chocolate base, add a clear oil flavoring (and gel coloring if desired). Use flavorings specifically made for candy making—alcohol-based extracts should not be added to melted chocolate. Excess moisture or direct heat make chocolate seize, or change its texture and become a gritty, lumpy mess. Some recipes work around this by adding other ingredients like oil or cream to insulate the chocolate from the alcohol in order to prevent the chocolate from seizing. Similarly, this recipe suggests using gel coloring instead of water-based coloring to prevent seizing as well.
Melting Chocolate in a Double Boiler
- You can make a do-it-yourself double boiler by adding a 1” of water in a medium saucepan. Find a shallow heat-proof (glass or metal) bowl that nests snugly in the saucepan. The bottom of the bowl should not touch the level of the water. The bowl helps protect what is cooked inside and make sure it is evenly heated by the steam from the water in the saucepan.
- Caution: when heating chocolate, make sure the bowl on top blocks all water vapor from seeping through the edges. Even a drop of water will cause the chocolate to seize up and become grainy and ruined.
- Stir with a spatula until completely melted.
Melting Chocolate in the Microwave
- Place ingredients in a heat-proof, microwave-safe bowl. Set the cooking power of the microwave to 50% strength.
- Heat the white chocolate for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the contents (there won’t be much change in the chocolate, but stirring will dissipate the heat).
- Continue heating the chocolate at 50% power for 30 seconds and stir after each heating.
- When most of the contents look melted, let contents rest and the remaining pieces will melt in the heat of the chocolate.
- Take it slowly, and stir well after each time in the microwave to ensure the chocolate does not scorch which will make it unusable.
- A possible fix for seized chocolate is trying to stir shortening or warm cream, a teaspoon at a time into the white chocolate. While the chocolate may be smooth, re-emulsified chocolate will have a different texture.
A quick and easy Halloween treat. Yummy butter rum flavored white chocolate is embedded with various treats and finished with sanding sugar.
- 16 ounces white chocolate (use white chocolate bars or vanilla almond candy coating)
- 1/4 teaspoon butter rum oil extract
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup small Halloween candies like gummy eye balls, skeleton bones, etc.
- 1 teaspoon colored sanding sugar.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or use the microwave method.
- When the chocolate is smooth, add the extract a few drops at a time until the flavor is to your taste. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Spread the chocolate on a baking sheet to a thickness of 1/4”.
- Top with treats, (or nuts and dried fruit cut into small pieces) and press the bits slightly so they nest in the chocolate.
- Set the tray aside until the chocolate is firm (about 10 minutes). Using the edge of a metal spatula to break the chocolate into 2” pieces.
- Serve a a treat or bag in small cellophane bag to give as party favors.
Use oil based extracts. Alcohol based extracts will make the chocolate seize and result in grainy lumpy yuck. White chocolate pairs fabulously with fruit flavors. But use any favor you like. Start with 4 drops and stir well, continue adding flavorings a drop at a time until as flavored as strong as you’d like. Change up the bark by using nuts, and dried fruit, pair with the flavor you would like. If using mint, be careful as the flavor seems so much stronger than other oil extracts.
- Serving Size: 1 ounce
Keywords: white chocolate bark, Halloween treat, chocolate bark